Shipping Container Home Tips and Considerations
A shipping container homeis now a fashionable alternative to conventional homes. Many contemporary architects have given such homes a deft touch to make them stylish and suitable for contemporary living. Some of the shipping container homes are strikingly beautiful and have become landmarks in their surroundings. Others serve the function without being imposing.
Popularity of Storage Container Homes
One of the reasons a shipping container home is growing in popularity is because the containers used to make the home are modular in nature, i.e., these are available in uniform dimensions.
- Owing to its nature, it is possible to increase or reduce living space as desired by using additional container or removing one of the containers. In conventional homes, increasing or decreasing spaces is one of the major problems.
- Modifying shipping container home designs and shipping container home floor plans is also considerably easier than modifying a conventional home made from bricks and cement concrete.
- The cost of building a shipping container home is much lower than building a home with conventional materials. As of date, these costs vary from $1,300 to $200,000. Such costs vary as per ship container home designs. Relevant savings is due to lower labor cost in the construction these homes.
- Another advantage associated with such homes is the speed in building one. Building such homes is almost like erecting a prefabricated home.
- There are infinite possibilities with the modular shipping containers. For example, it is also possible to transform these containers into homes with interiors resembling a recreational vehicle. Such containers can also become mobile homes or vacation cabins, if needed.
Storage Container Designs for Home
Usually, a shipping container home consists of two or more containers stacked one over the other. This does not mean there are no shipping container homes with horizontal stacking of containers. The direction of stacking and their alignment may vary.
Interiors may include spiral staircases that link the containers. Access to different floors is also possible with external staircases. Architects also add other features such as railings, and balconies. Bright colored exteriors of these homes add to their charm. Some of these recyclable containers may have solar panels installed on them. A shipping container home is strong as well as durable because the containers used to build such a home are strong.
Shipping container home plans do not entail many alterations. The door of the container may be retained or removed. Glass panel doors are often added on one of the sides to provide required lighting and heat, and let excessive heat escape from within. Round shaped windows are often added to emphasize the usage of shipping containers. Interiors of shipping containers offer as much scope for aesthetic designing as other small homes.
The disadvantage of these steel containers is that they can get very hot. Therefore, they need insulation from inside to keep the temperatures under control.
Basically, the dimensions of shipping containers make them suitable for living and building. Both new and old shipping containers can be bought for building a home. However, it is necessary to clean the used containers as there is a possibility that some harmful chemical stored in them was spilt. The flooring of these containers may be treated with insecticides to meet with any quarantine stipulations. Such insecticides may have components that are harmful for humans. Therefore, it might be necessary to remove such flooring as well, irrespective of the fact whether the container is new or old.
Storage container homes can be constructed in many different ways. Learn what you need to consider when looking at storage container home plans at http://storagecontainerhomes.net/things-to-consider-while-choosing-shipping-container-home-plans/.